Hopefully you read the Small Business SEO Checklist and now you’re ready for your homework.
If you spent any amount of time typing search queries looking to see if your business, or your competitors show up, you’ve noticed something. There are a lot of “directories” out there that just list businesses. They range from Yellow Pages type of listings to industry specific websites.
Many times, those directories will be the #1 result returned for a local business search. You need to be in there.
The directories are not the best place to get information for people who know what their looking for, but for people who are unsure, they get a lot of traffic.
Sugarrae already put together a partial list of places you can go to and start publishing a listing for your business:
1. Get your business listed with Google maps (free):
2. Get your business listed with SuperPages.com (free and fee options):
3. Update your business listings with infoUSA.com and Acxiom:
http://list.infousa.com/dbupdate.htm and http://bcb.acxiom.com/start.pl
4. Get a listing in Best of the Web in their regional section (fee):
http://botw.org/top/Regional/United_States/ (click submit site at the top right of the page once you find your proper category)
5. Get a listing with Yahoo Local (free and fee options):
6. Find the category that matches your business and get listed with Dmoz.org (free):
7. Get listed in MSN local via localeze.com:
8. Get listed with citysearch.com (also powers the Ask local search) for a fee:
9. Get listed with local.com (free and fee options):
10. Get listed with yellowpages.com (free and fee options):
11. You might be able to save yourself some time with RegisterLocal.com:
http://www.registerlocal.com which offers to keep your business profile information up to date with various yellow page, local search providers and data companies who provide information to various local outlets.
12. Register yourself with the local search engine over at BOTW: http://local.botw.org (free for basic profile, upgrade enhancements available for a fee)